It wasn’t that long ago…you’d pack the mp3 player, the digital camera, your video camera, and maybe even a laptop. Don’t forget all the extra batteries and the chargers. And, on my most recent cruise, I did exactly that. The only thing is, I packed one other item…my iPod touch (2012), and it’s about all I used during the entire cruise. If you want to simplify the packing routine for your cruise, thing about investing in an iPod touch. It does just about everything you will need during your trip. Here are several of its uses:
- Camera: The iPod touch acts as a camera, and handles low light situations better than I expected. The latest generation even has a panorama feature, which allows for some stunning images that, in the past, required a steady hand and lots of post production on the computer
- Video Camera: The video that the iPod captures rivals the quality of a $300-$500 digital camcorder. Unless you are looking for broadcast quality, the iPod should be plenty sufficient if you are seeking to capture your holiday memories for watching on your hi-def televisions or for uploading onto a site like YouTube. The video link on this page, which is an evening Fireworks Display from onboard the Norwegian Breakaway, was shot in its entirety with an iPhone 5 (the same tech as the latest iPod Touch)
- Music and Video Player: Load up a bunch of your favorite tunes and films onto the iPod and you have instant entertainment, whether on the plane, in your stateroom, in the fitness center or lounging by the pool. You can even bring a small bluetooth speaker on your cruise, providing an instant sound system in your stateroom. Just how many times can you listen to the same piped-in music coming from your cabin televisions!! Just link the iPod with your speaker using the bluetooth feature in your iPod’s settings
- Documents and Notes: You can store all of your cruise documents, ship’s maps and more. Simply save them as a pdf and then transfer onto your iPod
- Web surfing, email and social media: Many ships today have WiFi access available for a fee. Leave the laptop at home and stop waiting for a computer to become available in the ship’s internet cafe…you can do it all with your iPod Touch
- Games: Entertain yourself with games, puzzles and other apps of your choice!
Most everything mentioned above can be accomplished with an iPad and an iPad mini. I recommend the iPod for a couple of reasons. The first is the small size; easy to pack and easier to carry. Secondly, the iPod Touch handles darker situations better than the iPad, with regards to all still and video photography. If books are important to you, however, you may want to opt for the iPad.
The newest iPod touches are available in 32 gb, 64 gb, and now, a less expensive 16 gb. You can do all of your research on Apple’s website. Which ever iPod you choose, it’s two to three extra bags you can now keep at home!